To whom it may concern
As you may already know the current dementia services in Doncaster are changing from October. The changes mean there will be new services and support available to you and your family.
Age UK Doncaster and our partners are very pleased to introduce the new Keep in Mind service to you. We will be working with the new Pre and Post Diagnostic Service to ensure you have the right support when you need it. We will be working with people living with dementia, their carers and a variety of partners to deliver a whole host of activities and support in your local community and at home. Our partners include:
- Age UK Doncaster will run a Friends Supported day session for people with young onset dementia every Tuesday at our Silver Link Centre, Bennethorpe. There is a charge of £3.50 towards this session.
- Age UK Doncaster offer a block of 6 befriending sessions in the home. These are generally for 2 hours and are free to access. Where appropriate this can be substituted with short term practical help around the home.
- Alzheimer Society will offer dementia cafés in local areas and promote the uptake of dementia Friends awareness training to support dementia friendly communities. These are free to access.
- Club Doncaster Foundation will be running and developing physical and social activity groups. All physical activities will be tailored to meet individual needs. These are free to access.
- Crossroads Care will host weekly groups for carers of people living with dementia in your local community. Feel free to bring your loved one along too. These are free to access.
- Doncaster Arts (darts) will be running a weekly Singing for Memory session at The Point South Parade.
- Royal Voluntary Service will run sessions with a focus on maintenance cognitive stimulation therapy. There is a £5 charge per session.
All our partners come with a wealth of knowledge and experience in their areas and have other great activities and support that you could access. We will support you to access other activities, services and support in your community as well. I have enclosed a schedule of the planned sessions as part of Keep in Mind for October to give you an idea of activities on offer.
As part of the service, you would have a named Pathway Co-ordinator to support you throughout your journey and ensure you have the support and information you need at the time you need it. You can get in touch with us on the details below to have a chat about the service and how we can help.
We always look to improve and offer activities and sessions that are relevant, and client-led. To do this we will be asking for regular feedback from clients and their carers and setting up steering groups with people using dementia services in Doncaster so we can ensure your voice is heard and shape the way services are delivered.
The Keep in Mind Service starts on 1st October and the dedicated single point of access is open Monday to Friday 8.30am to 6pm. Messages and emails received out of hours will be picked up the next working day. Our dedicated number is 01302 812813 and email is [email protected]. Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or would like to know more about how we can support you.
Head of Service